Thursday, January 19, 2006

Mexican Presidential Race and More

The Mexican presidential race is on right now, and one thing the candidates have in common is that they want to make the economy in Mexico better in order to decrease migration to the U.S. People in the U.S. also want to decrease the amount of illegal immigrants, but they want to do so by pouring money into a wall to be built in California, New Mexico, and Texas, and by hiring police and military to guard it.... Hello!!!! These people would gladly stay in their native country if they could get a good job there! If people want to decrease immigration, then the U.S. should help bolster the Mexican economy and invest their money in Mexico and not in some useless fence across the U.S. Plus, it's not like a fence is going to be able to keep everyone out. The more deplorable conditions become in Mexico, the more desperate the Mexicans will become, and no wall will keep a man that has no hope left in his native country from risking his life in order to find a better one in the U.S. I also have problems with the idea that since I was born here in the U.S., I deserve more opportunities than the person that was born not too far away, but across the Rio Grande. I know that this is not how a country operates, but shouldn't it be how a Christian operates? How christian can a government really be, since in order to exist it must be exclusive and put itself first in every situation? This directly contradicts the ideals of Christianity. And while we're on the topic, the amount of Christians that think that they deserve more simply because they are Americans astounds me, but I guess it should not astound me, because we do that on a more personal level too. For instance, many times people will only help even their friends once their own lives are in complete order and they have accomplished all of their own personal goals or are well on their way to doing so. Why would I think that we would be any different on an international level?

Just the other day a Christian lady was talking to me, and she started talking about all of the lost souls in the U.S. Then she said something like, “We ought to bring back all the missionaries and save our own country first!” WHAT?! I could not believe this statement for several reasons:
1) American souls are NOT more important that other souls. People in other countries need to hear the Good News too!
2) Missionaries that have gone abroad have not done so on a simple whim, but rather they have gone because they have felt God calling them to do so. They have been given a passion to minister in the culture they have gone to and have been given unique gifts to do so.
3) There are LOADS of Christians in the U.S. just passing the time by filling a pew on Sundays. Why don’t we ignite a passion in our churches here to minister to the people in the U.S.? Doesn’t it make sense to teach people that are already Christians to act like Christians?
I know that there is a huge mission field in the U.S. that needs to be ministered to, and I admire the people that recognize that and are motivated to work within that field, but I don’t enjoy it when people are so ethnocentric that they do not recognize the need for missionaries to also “go unto all the world.” I’m fine with me going and other people staying, but so many people just can’t understand why anyone would go. Of course some people should go and some people should stay. That’s the way it works! We have been given different gifts. And no matter where we are geographically, we should recognize our brotherhood in Christ BEFORE we recognize any geographical bond to others. I do not pledge my allegiance to the United States of America. I pledge my allegiance to God! God is always good and always just, but the U.S. only is sometimes. I believe that I have been very blessed to be born in the U.S. and I am aware that because of my birth location I have received many opportunities. I am happy that I was born here, but I do not put this country above my love for God’s children. That makes me think of that old song that goes, “This world is not my home, I’m just a passin’ through…” Why are so many of us connected so fiercely to a country, but we are not that passionate about our place in the family of Christ?