Monday, October 08, 2007

1 Year

One year and seven days ago I moved to San Francisco. One year and five days ago I was wondering what in the world I was doing here and whether or not I should run back to the South. One year and 4 days ago I was feeling better about the situation (finding an apartment helped). One year ago today marks my official hire date, and one year ago tomorrow marks my first day at work.

This year has been so different for me in so many ways. Being a grown-up is pretty hard work. Plus I moved to a completely different place very far away from home with a very different culture. I learned how to use public transportation. I started my job as a nurse, which is when the learning really begins. I learned how to switch back and forth between night shift and day shift every 4 weeks. I learned that I am week and need support and to be spiritually fed. I learned what it feels like to miss church on Sundays about twice a month because I had to work. I learned what it feels like not to have a church home.

Praise God that year is over!

There were good times too. I think San Francisco is a really neat city, and it's really weird. There are things that I see here that I assume you don't see anywhere else.

Now I'm in graduate school, and I finally feel like I'm not spinning my wheels and completely lost, but I also feel frustrated because school and work consume nearly all of my time. But it's only 2 years. People have done it before. I can do anything for 2 years.

1 comment:

Meredith said...

Congratulations! You made it through the 1st year! It wasn't really until after the 1st year that I felt like I really had my feet on the ground. It's a shame that it is such a difficult transition into adulthood and responsibility and a new city and a new career and a new church family... and the list goes on... Way to go! You did it! I hope and pray that your master's transition is an easier one and that you love every minute of it! I cannot wait to hear all about it when you call me! Love you!