Thursday, November 16, 2006

On the way to work last night...

Mormons tried to convert me, and a random man tried to sell me drugs. I mean I was right in front of the medical center, wearing my scrubs, and the man came up to me and just started talking. And I, being the nice person I am, talked back. And then he introduced himself and stuck out his hand to shake mine, and I went to shake it and at the last second, I saw that there was something in his hand, and I quickly retracted mine and said, "What is that? Are those drugs? I don't do drugs. Get away from me." I looked around to see if there was a policeman handy, but there wasn't. I realize that lots of people have been approached like this before, but not me. I'm not from the big city. It just surprised me that this dude was doing this right in front of the med center to medical professionals. I've heard the statistics that there is a lot of drug abuse among medical professionals, but I guess this experiece brought it home for me, seeing that someone was actually targetting medical professionals. From what I hear, I'm sure this won't be the last time I get offered drugs while living in San Francisco. It probably won't be the last time the Mormons try and talk to me about the Bible either, since their church is just a block or so from my house. That's fine. I would love to talk to them about the Bible.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mormons need to be stopped. I have a serious problem with Mormons... but not so serious that I wouldn't be able to minitster to a Mormon effectively, as a chaplain. :)

And know that if you DO get into a scriptural debate with a Mormon, you probably won't get anywhere because they have scriptures which supercede the canonical Bible (according to LDS doctrine). It'd probably be more fun if you told them you're a hardened atheist. Or a Buddhist. ;)

Sorry I didn't call you about the ice skating thing on Sunday. I meant to call and tell you that I couldn't come b/c of my brutal hangover, but then I forgot. Ugh. Read about it on my blog. Drinking too much is not a good thing. What does St. Paul say? "Do not get drunk on wine, but rather be filled with the Holy Spirit." Something like that. And it also goes against Buddha's precepts. Not in line with my intention to wealk the bodhisattva path