Monday, August 21, 2006

Off to South Africa!

I'm leaving today for South Africa! It feels so weird to be going to a non-Spanish speaking country! In fact when I imagine conversations and encounters that might happen in SA I find myself thinking about it in Spanish. Hehe. Guess that won't help me much there. It also feels weird to be so dumb about a culture... I know all about Latin American culture, and people ask me about it all the time, and now I'm having to ask others about a culture. I'm so excited and nervous! I don't know what to expect... as far as the country goes, as far as the city goes, and living with my host family, the church there and the work being done. I'm trying not to have any expectations one way or the other! But... you know you, find yourself imagining... or at least I do. I have an over-active imagination. Gotta go now. Off to the airport!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Becca Jo - you will be wonderful. Your openness to learning about other cultures is exactly what it takes to learn about them! I know you've visited all over SA, and the new SA will appreciate how much you would like to learn. I'm sure you'll have Afrikaans mastered in no time. I love you and you are in my prayers. God is good.

kentbrantly said...

Good luck, I hope it is a great experience. You're bound to love it... after all, it is Africa.

Emy said...

Hey - I miss you! I hope that everything is going well and that you're learning a lot and loving Africa. When you get a chance post some stories..

allison said...

Hey Boo, we're thinking about you. What is there no internet in South Africa -- we want posts!!!

Love and prayers,
ally and sol and levi
and of course jarrod